Friday, June 24, 2011

Quirky

Bil has been away for the past few days on business and I'm exhausted and feeling sorry for myself. I decided to watch a documentary on Autism, apparent form of emotional torture. To my disappointment, it was extremely positive. Loving Lampposts, a film by Todd Drezner whose son has autism. The film explored all of the theories on possible reasons for the rise in the number of children diagnosed with ASD. It went through the gamut of possible causes such as, the environment, food/GI issues and of course vaccines. Then suddenly they were interviewing parents who were extremely positive and accepting about their child's diagnoses. They were all part of this new movement on neurodiversity. One parent summed it up by saying "If you've met one autistic person... you've met one autistic person". It made so much sense. Why are we wired to think we have to cure this disorder? We are all different and no one person develops in the same way or at the same rate. As a parent, I signed up for emails to check Finn's weekly development and I used it as a benchmark for everything. I've been sick to my stomach with worry for the past 4 years. The past year has been the worst, dealing with the ASD diagnoses. For the first time I feel like my mind is clear and I can take a more relaxed approach toward my relationship with my son. Bring on the quirk!

No comments:

Post a Comment